Friday, August 20, 2010

We think there may be a problem....

Damien texts me yesterday, right as I was leaving work, and sends me this picture:



and says, "Lexi's eye is swollen." Well, Logan had been eating some Reese's Puffs and had then spilled some in the floor. Since she won't eat anything other than what is on the floor, I think she got into them and has shown us that she has a peanut allergy. She is better today but her eyes are still a little red and slightly swollen. I took her to the doctor and he is referring her to a pediatric allergist. We will probably be going to see the one that took care of Lucas when he had such bad eczema problems; this guy offices with the same asthma dr that I saw when I was little.

Apparently peanut allergies can be very serious and they never outgrow them. My boys are done living off of peanut butter and jelly - we have given the peanut butter we do have to the neighbors. When a child has a peanut allergy, the initial reaction is typically mild, like Lexi's eye, but any subsequent reactions can be severe, even causing anaphylaxis. So, no more peanut butter for us!!! I am so feeling so blessed that we figured it out early and that the reaction was not any more serious than it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment