Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas

You know, we get so caught up in the hustle and bustle of getting everything ready for Christmas. As a mom of lots of kids, it gets stressful trying to make sure we get what they want, but it is somewhat even amongst the kids (as far the $$$ spent) - not to mention how in the heck one pays for all that stuff. Then there is the need to make sure there is enough food and the house is picked up to a decent level. The week of Christmas, I worked two auctions and did 7 shops in a 3 day time period - in the midst of trying to get all of the aforementioned stuff done for Christmas. Anyway, my point being that we get caught up in the stress of the holidays.

But, we need to just pause and remember "the reason for the season" as they say. Jesus' birthday is one of the most important holidays of the year (of course Easter is the other). We need to think about what God did for us in sending His son to die for our sins. True joy would not be possible. I think about the things in my life that bring me true joy - my wonderful husband and my children - and I realize that without Jesus in our lives, this true joy would not be possible.
Without Jesus in our lives, maybe Jeff and I would not be so in love - even 12 years later. There are so many marriages out there that are not full of love for one another. In the moment of life and all the trials that it brings, we are able to remember how we really feel about one another. We are able to get past any issues or problems we may have BECAUSE of our Lord. Even when I get mad at Jeff, I am able to pray that God will help me to be the wife He wants me to be. It makes it so much easier to just go on and not focus on whatever it is because I want to be the person/wife that God wishes me to be.
With Jesus in our lives, I am able to take such true joy in my children. Society as a whole views children as a nuisance and do not see what a gift they are from God. This attitude always amazes me because the Bible, in no uncertain terms, tells us that children are a gift from God. What other gift would one refuse that God would like to bestow upon them? Would we tell God that we had enough money, or that it is so hard to have money, that we didn't want it? No, probably not. Without the true joy that God has given me, I would not be able to realize just how wonderful these blessings are. Children require so much time, attention, money, and patience.... It IS hard. But, God has decided to give us the opportunity to raise these blessings; He has bestowed this honor on US. Who are we to be deserving of such an honor? God also sees fit to bless me with the grace to deal with all that comes with these blessings. I do not always react with grace to the trials that come with these God given blessings - but again, because of Jesus, God forgives me when I do not respond with the tools (His grace) that He has given me.
Jesus' birth is such a wonderful thing for mankind and I would just like to thank God for giving us His son. This is the ultimate gift as I personally would not be the person that I am today without him. Please pause during this wonderful time of year to thank God for His perfect gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment